Society of Integrated Coastal Management (SICOM) has been established under the aegis of the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate change, Government of India with a vision for vibrant, healthy and resilient Coastal and Marine Environment for continuous and enhanced outflow of benefits to the Country and the Coastal Community.
Objective and Functions of SICOM
- To support the implementation of the Integrated Coastal Zone Management of India.
- To promote Research & Development (R&D) and stakeholder participation in the management of the Coastal areas of India.
- To support to check violations to CRZ through improved technology-enabled enforcement strengthened institutions and regulatory and legal reforms.
- SICOM is the National Project Management Unit (NPMU) of India in strategic planning, management, execution, monitoring and successful implementation of Integrated Coastal Zone Management Project and Enhancing Coastal and Ocean Resource Efficiency (ENCORE Project) in all 13 Coastal States /UTs of India. (Maharashtra, Gujarat, Odisha, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Goa, Puducherry, Kerala, Karnataka, Daman and Diu, Andaman and Nicobar Island, Lakshadweep)
- SICOM has also embarked upon the Pilot Blue Flag programme first time in India under Beach Environment & Aesthetic Management Services (BEAMS) for Pilot Beaches.
- To undertakes any additional work or function as may be assigned by MOEF&CC from time to time in the areas of coastal management and other related activities.