Society of Integrated Coastal Management (SICOM) has been established under the aegis of the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate change, Government of India with a vision for vibrant, healthy and resilient Coastal and Marine Environment for continuous and enhanced outflow of benefits to the Country and the Coastal Community.
Objective and Functions of SICOM
- To Support implementation of the Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) activities in India.
- To promote Research & Development (R&D) and stakeholder participation in management of the Coastal areas in India.
- To support to check violations to CRZ through improved technology-enabled enforcement, strengthened institutions, and regulatory and legal reform.
- SICOM is the National Project Management Unit of India in strategic planning, management, execution, monitoring and successful implementation of the ICZMP-Phase-I.
- Based on the success of the Phase-I of the ICZM project SICOM is entrusted to implement and extend the project to all the 13 Coastal States/UTs under Phase-II of the ICZM Project. An in-principle approval from DEA, Ministry of Finance, is obtained to extend the ICZM Project to all the 13 Coastal States/UTs (Maharashtra, Gujarat, Odisha, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Goa, Puducherry, Kerala, Karnataka, Daman and Diu, Andaman and Nicobar Island, Lakshadweep). Preparatory activities for the Phase-II is in progress. (Project Cost- Rs. 4000/- cr).
- SICOM has also embarked upon the Pilot Project Blue Flag Beach programme first time in India, identifying one beach each in all 13 Coastal States/UTs. The main objective programme is to promote sustainable development in coastal regions of India for the beach management authorities to strive to achieve high international standards in four categories of:
- Environmental Management including cleanliness, solid waste management in beaches.
- Environment Education.
- Safety & Security of Beachgoers.
- Bathing Water Quality Standards.
SICOM has initiated the above process in 13 pilot beaches (one pilot beach in every Coastal States/UTs) under this programme and in line with Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- To undertake any additional work or function as may be assigned by MoEF&CC from time to time in the areas of coastal management and other related activities.